Saturday, September 06, 2014

Teacher



Source: Google Images

I tore up the letter into pieces and threw it away and said, "I don't want to go, I'll take up a job uptown and start earning like my brother and support my mother."

He stood behind me in his self-possessed, selfless posture with radiant blue eyes and an appealing smile which always conveyed, "No matter you fall, no matter you fail, no matter you get lost in any form of darkness of this world, I'll be there at your arms reach and I'll teach you how to rise, win and conquer the darkness."

He put his arm over my shoulder and said, "Let's take a walk and decide about what you are going to do now!"

My life's transformed after the conversation we had over that walk with my Guru, the man whom I adore, the man who taught me not to give up, the man who not only trained me for this game but also trained me for this world.

Now, after three years, I stand here on the podium of The Rashtrapathi Bhavan to be honoured with The Bronze Statuette of Arjuna, The Arjuna Award for my talent in Boxing and I see him standing in his self-possessed, selfless posture with radiant blue eyes and an appealing smile which still says, "No matter you fall, no matter you fail, no matter you get lost in any form of darkness of this world, I'll be there at your arms reach and I'll teach you how to rise, win and conquer the darkness."


This post is a tribute to all my teachers on the occasion of Teachers' Day, a token of my respect towards the magnificent Mary Kom and also a part of Five Sentence Fiction - Darkness activity at lilliemcferrin.com.

4 comments :